The Importance of having your home broom cleaned before you leave
Broom clean is a real-estate term used to describe the condition in which a renter must leave a home.
The rules for vacating a rental are quite strict: Broom clean means you should leave the place in the same condition as when you moved in, minus reasonable wear and tear. So once you’ve removed your belongings, have the carpets professional cleaned, and break out a broom, Swiffer, or other cleaning weapon of choice and go to town.
At move-in we explain to our residents that the property must be turned back over in the same condition it was giving to them at move-in. It’s VERY important as a resident to take your time and complete your move-in checklist very thorough and take pictures. And bring anything of importants to the attention of the office right away.
- Scratches on the floor
- Carpets are torn/ burnt
- Windows with screens missing or glasses broken/missing
- Walls have holes or are scratched/ scribbled on
- Fixtures on the ceiling and walls are broke
- Air conditioning, heaters, filters are dirty/ knobs and dials have become loose or not functioning
- Kitchen appliances are dirty
- Kitchen cabinets are filthy/ are scratched
- Counters are scratched/ have burn marks on them
- Tiles missing in the bathroom
- Bathtubs and showers are dirty
- Toilet lids/ toilet paper holders are cracked/ broken/ have disappeared.
- Burnt out light bulbs need to be replaced
- If your responsible for landscaping it must be cleaned up.
- If your responsible for pool maintenance the service must be complete the last month of occupancy.
- The biggest thing is If you have any questions on what your responsible ask the office.
When moving out, things can become scrambled and hectic. In order to best obey the broom clean condition, you will want to walk through your home multiple times. Check every nook for dirt and grim. Check the washer and dryer for any left-over laundry, and make sure that the dishwasher is free of dishes. You may want another member of your family to also do a walk-through, as he or she might notice things that you looked over. By doing a thorough search, you will be able to complete the broom clean condition with finesse, and leave your house empty and ready for the next residents.
During our move-out inspection we will be able to help direct you to if the broom clean condition is met. If not you will have the opportunity to complete the cleaning or direct us to handle it. During the move out inspection the utilities must still be on.